Helping you overcome your fears
Are You Afraid of Dentists?
If you're afraid of dentists, you're not alone. With the help of conscious sedation dentistry, I've helped many people get past their fear of dentists.
Some people who go regularly to the dentist still feel anxious about their dental visits. Fear is one of the biggest reason people avoid dentists. When people delay going to the dentist they can run into bigger problems.
As time goes on, people who avoid the dentist can get deeper and deeper into trouble that could require lots of work to restore their teeth back to health. With Dental Avoiders, the longer they wait the more fearful they become.
It doesn't have to be that way. If you've been delaying your dental care, Conscious Sedation Dentistry (also called sleep dentistry) could be just what you need to get back on track.
If you're feeling anxious about going to a dentist, sleep dentistry can help you step out from under that shadow of tension and fear. Sedation can help relax you to the point where you don't feel any anxiety or discomort during your dental appointment. You'll finally be able to get dental work done while maintaining a soothing calm state of mind.
Royal York Dental offers conscious sedation dentistry for Toronto and Etobicoke residents who find dental treatment a challenge. As West Toronto dentists for over 20 years we've helped many of our guests become very comfortable about dental treatment. We've also helped people to maintain a healthy beautiful smile, so they've needed very little treatment beyond preventive measures.
That's the bottom line: easy comfortable dental vists, and less need for dentistry.
Your worries melt away
Sedation Dentistry is the use of medication to help you feel comfortable before, during and after dental treatment. It's the perfect fit for people with challenges such as high dental anxiety, extensive treatment needs, time constraints, a severe gag reflex or difficulty getting numb.
Oral medication can be easily administered in the form of liquid or pills. Oral Sedatives can be taken the night before to help you sleep, and taken one hour before your appointment to significantly reduce anxiety during any treatment. You'll be in a relaxed, drowsy state.
Nitrous Oxide is an inhalational gas that can also provide the level of comfort that you may be looking for. Nitrous is actually a mild General Anaesthetic. People tend to experience a state of euphoria under the influence of Nitrous Oxide, which is why many people call it "laughing gas". The gas levels can easily be adjusted to create the desired affect.
Deeper (unconcious) sedation can also be used. To achieve that level of sedation requires either intavenous injection or general anesthetic.
As conscious sedation dentists, we can offer you milder levels of sedation. For deeper levels of sedation we can put you in touch with a specialist.
Many people find mild to moderate sedation is enough to be very comfortable. With moderate sedation, you're still concious and responsive. You may experience a drowsy, dream-like state.
Oral Sedation has some clear advantages. It's very simple and safe. What could be easier than taking a pill? The sedative effect also has longer duration. That way it can help you sleep the night before, and help you relax prior to your appointment.
The downside of Oral Sedation is you can't turn it off when you're done. You'll still be sedated after your appointment is completed and that means you'll need an escort to take you home.
With Nitrous, the level of sedation can be easily adjusted up or down to maintain an appropriate level of sedation. For example, some people are terrified of injections and we can turn the Nitrous levels up higher for that part.
Dr. Joe Bulger states, "We generally try for that three-martini range. You feel very intoxicated, but not nauseous or overwhelmed. I know it's really working when the patient starts thinking I'm a comedian."
A great advantage of Nitrous is that it can be very powerful when it's used, and then completely gone soon after it's turned off. Your body doesn't absorb the gas, so it doesn't leave you impaired after your appointment is finished. When Nitrous is used by itself, you don't require an escort to take you home afterwards.
Some people prefer deep sedation. They want to be put right out. This can be very effective for cases extreme phobia and for challenging work such as wisdom teeth extraction.
Nitrous is easy, safe and effective
Sedation can be very helpful and effective in a variety of circumstances.
1. It works. It's very effective at reducing your anxiety and allowing you to be completely comfortable before, during and after your dental procedures.
2. It's very safe. Time-tested options with low risk of adverse reaction, and other than drowsiness, minimal side-effects.
3. Amnesic. Your memory of the events is significantly reduced, making even longer visits seem short and uneventful.
4. Sensory impairment. Anxiety-induced hyper-sensitivity melts away, leaving you with minimal impression of all the sights, smells and sounds.
5. Fewer appointments. Allows longer appointments, meaning more work can be done in less visits.
6. Relaxation. Reduces the after-effects such as fatigue and discomfort that are normally associated with longer appointments.
7. Reduces pain sensitivity. Sedation eliminates the hyper-sensitivity caused by anxiety. Nitrous Oxide also provides mild general anaesthesia. You feel numb all over, including your teeth and gums.
8. Facilitates treatment. Sedation Dentistry allows your dental team to accomplish more dentistry in less visits. Our team can do a better work for you by performing faster and more easily.
We want you to be relaxed and comfortable so you can enjoy a pleasant experience at Royal York Dental. As conscious sedation dentists in Toronto West, we believe that reducing your anxiety about visiting the dentist is an important part of our services.
Here are some situations where sedation can be of tremdous benefit:
Fear of needles or pain
Difficulty getting numb with local anaesthetic
Very sensitive teeth
Sensitivity to sensory stimulation
Strong gag reflex
TMJ issues - difficulty opening mouth
Young child in need of treatment
Sedation can make dentistry easy
1. Have you been known to say, "I hate dentists!"
2. Have you been delaying any treatment that you want or need?
3. Have you been experiencing dental pain but have not contacted a dentist?
4. Do you have any trouble with gagging or difficulty getting numb for dental work?
5. Have you been feeling embarrassed about your teeth and want to smile again
with more confidence?
6. Are you overwhelmed by the thought of having multiple dental visits?
7. Are you having trouble finding a dentist you can trust?
8. Are you hesitant to make the call to a dental office for an appointment?
9. Do you have trouble sleeping the night before a dental appointment?
If you or anyone you know can benefit from Sedation Dentistry, give us a call and we'll arrange a free consultation to explore your options. We look forward to getting you back on track.
About the Author: Dr. Joe Bulger is a cosmetic dentist from Toronto, Canada and the owner-founder of Royal York Dental.
If you're looking for a sedation dentist, remember that Royal York Dental is open six days a week and can often offer same-day service. Fill out our contact form or CALL 416 231-0550. Download our free dental emergency guide.
Call our New Patient Hotline 416-231-0550 to take care of your smile.